Friday, July 10, 2009

Daniel: Counting on a Bright Future


Hi, I'm Daniel Oladipo (I'm the one sitting) and this is my supervisor Mr. Anthony Johnson. I am an intern the the Accounting Office of Covenant House Washington. I first heard about Covenant House from a friend. My siblings and I came here to be a part of the Summer Enrichment program conducted by the Prevention Services program. We did that for three summers. The summer program was good. I really liked the people and the counselors; the counselors really cared about us. During the summer program I learned how to care for myself, how to keep myself safe, and how to stay away from things that are bad. I really enjoyed working in the music studio and doing artwork.

I graduated from high school this past June. I got accepted into Virginia Union, but I wasn't able to get enough financial aid to cover the cost. So, this fall I will begin taking classes at Prince George's Community College and then transfer to Bowie State University. I will be majoring in Accounting. I like working with figures, examining how transactions are done, and working with taxes. In my high school I was in the Academy of Finance, so we learned a lot about financial services and international business. Covenant House is giving me a real-life experience through volunteering in the accounting office. I work four hours a day, and I am learning how to file receipts, manage paperwork, and learning how to work in an office environment. This experience will be helpful to me when I go to college.

I like the way the people at Covenant House interact with me and each other. For kids, it is a good place to come and learn about things you don't know. They can help you succeed.